How to install the Discontinued Windows Media Centre on Windows 10
This might be an Apple blog but the one thing Apple, or any developer, has managed to achieve is a decent interface for recording and playback of live TV. I personally love still use Windows Media Centre and have hacked it onto a Windows 10 rig.
After announcing Windows Media Centre was going to be no more Microsoft offered up Windows DVD player, as a replacement. Free if you already had MCE but otherwise you had the option of paying $14.99 or installing VLC.
Windows Blog Italia has documented the steps on how you can bring back the media software back to your PC. It should be noted, though, that this is not officially authorized by Microsoft and is a workaround provided by enthusiasts - so we advise users to proceed with caution.
- Download and extract the file "WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0.zip" through this file sharing site.
- Look for the file "_TestRights.cmd", right click it, and then click "Run as administrator."
- A command prompt window will appear. Reboot your PC after.
- Look for the file "Installer.cmd," right click on it, and then click "Run as administrator."
- One the installer is done, a message will display saying "Press any key to exit."
- That's it!
Have a look at the task bar and you'll see that you can pin to the start menu if needed. IF you are going to use Windows Media Centre then check out MCEBUDDY. THE BEST way to convert from .wtv to .mp4 and automatically remove adverts